Ramsay Postgraduate Scholarships
Are you a leader and a high-achieving student contemplating the transformative experience of studying abroad at some of the world’s best universities?
Are you driven to advance a richer and deeper understanding of our civilisation through the study of its history, philosophy, legal and political systems, religion, literature and languages, science and social sciences, music, art, or architecture?
Our benefactor, and founder of the Ramsay Centre, Paul Ramsay wanted to support outstanding, thoughtful, and imaginative young Australians to pursue graduate study at the world’s best overseas universities.
Our Ramsay Postgraduate Scholarships have been made possible through his generosity and are among the most generous scholarships currently on offer in Australia.
About Paul Ramsay
Paul was known as ‘a man for others’ who wanted to give back to his country and fellow Australians. He was profoundly grateful for his life opportunities and often reflected on the influences that had shaped Australia. He saw our nation as one of many that had benefited from being part of the long continuum of Western Civilisation. In particular, he wanted younger Australians to appreciate and value this heritage, and to take the lead in passing it on to others.
These scholarships, in his name, help outstanding, thoughtful, and imaginative young Australians – our future leaders – to do just that, by supporting them to pursue graduate study at the world’s best overseas universities.
Our scholarships are offered for one, two and, in select cases, three years of coursework and/or research.
There are two main types of scholarship available as part of the suite of our Ramsay Postgraduate Scholarships.
- World Universities Ramsay Postgraduate Scholarship (Value of AUD$85,000 p.a.).
- St John’s College, Annapolis, Master of Liberal Arts Scholarship and Internship Program (Value of AUD$60,000 p.a. for two years).
Up to 15 scholarships will be awarded in 2021. From 2022 onward, up to 25 scholarships a year may be awarded, with the majority awarded in category 1.
Our Ramsay scholars will be selected on the basis of:
- Strength of character, leadership qualities, and commitment to serve others as demonstrated by their contribution to the community, public debate or professional involvement.
- Outstanding academic achievement, and breadth and depth of intellectual vision.
- Commitment to advancing a richer and deeper understanding of our civilisation obtained through the study of its history, philosophy, legal and political systems, religion, literature and languages, science and social sciences, music, art and architecture.
The scholarships are granted for commencement of study in the year of application.
The first scholarships will be awarded in 2021 for students commencing study in that year.
The Ramsay Centre will also consider applications from students who have already commenced graduate study abroad by the time of the 2021 scholarship round.