STATEMENT FROM CEO PROFESSOR SIMON HAINES
Sydney, Wednesday 26 August 2020: The Ramsay Centre for Western Civilisation is proud to announce that the NSW Solicitor General Michael Sexton SC will chair its selection panel for its inaugural Ramsay Postgraduate Scholarships.
Mr Sexton has had a highly successful and varied career straddling the worlds of law, academia and writing.
He was appointed New South Wales Solicitor General in 1998, making him one of the longest to serve in that role. In academia he has worked as a senior lecturer at the University of NSW and was an Adjunct Professor with the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) Faculty of Law. He also served as member of the UTS council from 2005-16, chairing its Social Justice Committee and Student/Council Liaison Group, and serving as a member of the Governance Committee.
Mr Sexton co-authored the first text on Australian defamation law as well as authoring several books on Australian politics and history. He has served as Chairman of the NSW State Rail Authority and on the boards of the NSW Public Transport Authority, the NSW Library Council and the Sydney Writers’ Festival.
Mr Sexton will be joined on the panel by several other esteemed leaders, scholars, and educators, including members of the Ramsay Centre Executive and Board.
The nine Ramsay Postgraduate Scholarships selection panel members are:
1. NSW Solicitor General Michael Sexton SC (Chair)
2. Dr Amanda Bell: Governor and Chair of Queenwood School, former Principal of The Women’s College within the University of Sydney, and former member of the NSW Rhodes Scholarship Committee
3. Professor James Franklin: Honorary Professor in the School of Mathematics and Statistics at UNSW
4. Professor Simon Haines: CEO of the Ramsay Centre, distinguished scholar, teacher and author
5. Dr Stephen McInerney: Academic Director & Deputy CEO of the Ramsay Centre, experienced liberal arts scholar, teacher, and published poet
6. The Hon Tony Abbott AC: Former Prime Minister of Australia and Rhodes Scholar
7. Professor Ann Brewer: Higher education consultant and researcher, Emerita Professor at University of Sydney, former Deputy Vice-Chancellor at the University of Sydney
8. Dr Michael Easson AM: Business leader, former Vice-President of the ACTU, former Senior Vice-President of the ALP in NSW
9. Elizabeth Stone: Principal of Queenwood School, Rhodes Scholar, former university academic specialising in commercial contract law, former mathematics teacher
Our benefactor and founder, Paul Ramsay AO, wanted to support outstanding, thoughtful, and imaginative young Australians to pursue graduate study at the world’s best overseas universities. These scholarships, in his name, will be awarded in 2021 and be among the most generous currently on offer in Australia.
There are two main types of scholarship available; the World Universities Ramsay Postgraduate Scholarship (value of AUD$85,000 p.a.) and the St John’s College, Annapolis, Master of Liberal Arts Scholarship and Internship Program (value of AUD$60,000 p.a.).
Full biographical details of the panel and information on our scholarships can be found on our website: https://www.ramsaycentre.org/scholarships-courses/postgraduate-scholarships/
Media contact: Sarah Switzer 0407 816 98/ email@example.com